Preparing for Recruitment While in High School
Boost Your Sorority Appeal in High School
If you're still in high school, and you want to join a sorority in the future, now is the time to start preparing. Even if no one in your family has been in a sorority, you can still pledge a fantastic chapter when you get to college. These are the things that houses look for in potential new members (PNMs) and what you should look for in them.
What Sororities Look for in You...
- Being active: Join clubs, run for office, play sports, paint pictures, whatever you like and do it with passion. Sororities like girls who are engaged in life. So go for it!
- Good grades: There are minimum requirements in all chapters. Strive for at least a 2.5 or above to qualify for rush. A 3.0 would be even better.
- Volunteerism: Giving back is very important to greeks, so start being charitable now. Work with the elderly, engage with kids, help the less fortunate or volunteer with animals.
- Being a good person: Keep your reputation clean on Instagram, Tumblr & Facebook. Sororities, colleges and future employers do check. After you join you could be asked to leave if there is offensive stuff on your social media. Character counts with sororities.
- Polished social skills: Manners and grammar are important. Recruitment involves lots of small talk and you need to effectively “promote yourself.” You can’t be a complete wallflower or unable to keep a conversation going. Practice, practice.
- Connected with sorority alums: You don’t need to have family in a sorority, but you will need some recommendation letters from alum sorority women when the time comes. Now is the time for you to explore which teachers, parents, or family friends might be able to write letters on your behalf.
- Leadership: At a large university there will be lots of sorority competition, so experience in leadership is very important. If possible, run for office at school, church, clubs, sports teams, charity groups, etc. Step up and it will help your PNM resume.
What to Look For in a Sorority...
- Real girls: Look for girls with character, sincerity, honesty, friendliness and a house where you feel the most comfortable. You will know it when you “feel” it.
- Authentic sisterhood: Try to not be swayed by who has the fanciest dresses, the most glamorous sorority house, or the most expensive rush decorations ~ those are all superficial. Look beyond the sparkle and assess the girls you meet on a deeper level. Rich isn't always better when it comes to a sorority chapter.
- Chapter personality: Look for unity, a close sisterhood and high standards. Do the girls live their creed? Do they get good grades, or just party all the time? When you see their “bragging” table displays and hear their “recruitment pitches” really pay attention to what they value most. Each house is different! Seek a genuine match.