10 Alumnae Luncheon Activity Ideas
Most chapters host an annual alum luncheon. Besides serving delicious food, host an activity that gives attendees something 'to do' in addition to visiting. Make it an Alumnae-Funday. Here are some of my favorite ideas for alumnae social interaction.
• Add Some Fun to Your Alum Event •
Trivia tournament. Especially fun if the questions are all about your chapter, your national sorority and greek life trivia from your specific campus.
- Cooking instruction. Invite a chef from a local restaurant to come and give a hands on demonstration. Theme your luncheon to what he’s preparing. Or - how about a guest cupcake or cookie baker? Everyone would love to learn about fancy cupcake or cookie decorating.
- Salad-days cook-off. Host a gourmet salad “cook-off” and award prizes for the most inventive creations. If you supply the lettuce, ask the alum attendees to BYOT (bring your own toppings). Or - offer a wide buffet of unique salad mixers. Everyone enjoys the salads for lunch after the contest.
- Crafting for philanthropy. Think of an extra fun craft to make for your sorority philanthropy or a local charity. This is especially appropriate for the holidays. Make ornaments, decorations, stuffed toys, hand tied pillows, stuff shelter bags, treats for the troops, etc…
- Shop till you drop. Host a mini-market with guest vendors. Invite a few local fashion shops, handbag and jewelry dealers to set up some tables and sell their goodies to all the members. Fabulous for pre-holiday shopping.
- Chapter fashion show. If you keep it in-house and partner with a couple of your favorite local fashion boutiques, this is a lively day for everyone. Active sisters can model for alums, or the other way around, or both!
- Guest speaker. Think outside the box, and see if you can find an interesting speaker to entertain the group before or after lunch. Topics to consider: women’s health, history of the area, women’s humor, inspirational, women in business, etc...
- Chapter tribute. Have your most creative members put together a special video of your chapter’s history. Premier the video during your alumnae day. It’s sure to bring tears to all the alum’s eyes. Add to this luncheon by asking your alums to come dressed as they did in college. A 60s, 70s or 80s theme would be lots of laughs.
- Shake it up. If you’ve always had a sit-down luncheon, this year invite a hip food truck to provide the meal. Or - switch to an outdoor picnic, a grilling party, or make it a progressive meal around the campus. For example - appetizers on the lawn, lunch in the campus hall and dessert back at the chapter house.
- Exchange day. Make your event an exchange of some kind! An ornament exchange, a cookie exchange, a white elephant gift exchange, a handbag exchange, a book exchange, a recipe exchange, etc... Make a game out of each guest picking and trading what they want to exchange.