Top 10 Types of Greek Marathons
• TOP Sorority-A-Thon Ideas •
Marathons involve getting your chapter and other greeks to volunteer as participants in an event. These volunteers then recruit others to sponsor them for money. Participants enlist friends, family, fellow students and businesses to sponsor them for a flat fee, or for a specific sum, for every mile jogged, walked rocked or danced, etc. Businesses may buy banner advertising, sponsor tee shirts and donate supplies ~ which can increase the revenue raised.
In many cases, you can motivate volunteers to excel by offering prizes to those who raise the highest dollar amounts. The most well-known marathons involve jogging or walking, but there are other types of marathons too. Go beyond the traditional walk-a-thon and try something new!
- Dance-a-thon: Participants have to dance to music for a specific amount of time. Theme your event to fit your campus population. For example, host a country music, hip hop, retro tunes, or 80’s music dance-a-thon.
- Craft-a-thon: Participants craft, sew and paint for a pre-set period of time - or until a specific amount of things have been created. As an added bonus, the things created can then be sold at a greek festival or greek week sale.
- Exercise-a-thon: Participants are encouraged to exercise for a specific period of time, or take part in a specific athletic activity. Host a zumba, yoga, spinning, or treadmill Exercise-a-thon. The campus gym, or a large local fitness center would be an ideal place to host this event. Another option is to organize a hike, row boating, rock wall climbing, swimming, roller skating, or other sports related activity ‘marathon style.’ Make sure the event is not so long that people will be injured. Provide medical help onsite for anyone who is injured or becomes ill.
- Clean-a-thon: Participants are sponsored to clean part of the campus, park, city, highway, or beach by agreeing to pick up specific amounts or trash, plant trees & flowers, or other outdoor beautification project. This event attracts attention from community groups, churches, schools, city government and the media. At the conclusion, your location will look wonderful, and everyone will be happy with the improvement.
- Kiss-a-thon: Participants must kiss for a specific period of time. In many of these marathons, volunteers have also tried to get into the book of world records for the longest kiss. Also consider a hug-a-thon, or a hand-holding-a-thon. Host this type of fundraiser on Valentine’s Day for extra publicity.
- Cook-a-thon: Participants cook for a specific period of time. Pick a theme for the food, such as a pancake, cookie, or cupcake Cook-a-thon. The food cooked can then be sold at a greek fair, greek week sale, or be donated to a shelter or food bank. This type of marathon can be expensive, so finding business donors/sponsors such as a local restaurant or food supplier is important.
- Rock-a-thon: Participants rock in rocking chairs for a certain amount of time. Variations on this theme includes rocking on kid’s rocking horses, or teeter totter rocking at the local playground.
- Ride-a-thon: Participants ride to raise money. Ride - horses, tricycles, bikes built for two, carousel, amusement park rides, skateboards, trolly, mechanical bull, etc. Organize a festive around the Ride-a-thon for a super fun fundraiser.
- Camp-a-thon: Participants spend a few days in a specific area camping out in tents, raising awareness and raising money through sponsors. It’s like a “sit-in” for a good cause.
- Read-a-thon: Participants read as many books as they can over a period of two weeks. Sponsors give participants a specific sum of money for every book read. This event takes place on the volunteer’s own time, but you can host a “wrap up event”, where participants bring the books they’ve read to be counted and they can win prizes for most books read, longest book read, most romantic, etc. Books can be donated to a charity after the marathon. This fundraiser ties in especially well with literacy philanthropies. You can theme your fundraiser to just mysteries or just romances for extra fun!