5 Fun "2-Hour" Sisterhood Social Ideas
Dear sorority sugar, I was recently elected New Member Educator for my chapter. I want to plan a social for the new members and the active sisters, including our members who were studying abroad last semester. I would really like them to get to know each other in about two hours, but I can’t think of many good ideas at the moment. Please help!
sorority sugar: Doing something fun together will help the sisters get to know each other and strengthen those sorority bonds. Plan an event geared towards maximum interaction and teamwork. These are some my fave ideas...
🎀 "2-Hour" Sisterhood Socials 🎀
- ART ATTACK: Divide the chapter into 6 teams and provide them with 6 X-large blank canvases, acrylic paints, brushes and one sample piece of art to copy. The idea is to recreate one painting or photograph in 6 different sections. After painting, the 6 individual canvases will be put together to create one united masterpiece. The challenge is to work closely with each of the surrounding teams to re-create the art. Ideally your groups should copy a popular sorority image with lots of meaningful symbols. After completion, hang the 6-into-1 canvases someplace where everyone can enjoy it.
- ROLL CAMERA: Divide the chapter into groups of 6-10 sisters. Teams are asked to create a 3-minute sorority video. The videos should be themed around why they love the chapter, or why the chapter is the best. To add a bit of fun, teams must include certain “key words”! These 10 words can be spoken or acted out. Words such as: bid, letters, recruitment, badge, sisterhood, t-shirt, mixer, ritual, philanthropy, and creed. Substitute key words that are specific to your sorority ~ such as ladybug, anchor, or kite. Provide a box of props and let the teams get creative. After the videos are completed, host a ‘Night at the XYZ Oscars’ screening party. Maybe some of them will be good enough for You Tube or a future recruitment!
- MOCKTAIL MASTERCLASS: Hire an expert mixologist (bartender) to give the chapter a demonstration on making several creative alcohol free drinks. After learning the basics, divide the group into teams, and ask each team to come up with their own original “mocktail.” Each team should have their own 'bar/table' to use and a selection of liquids, sodas, syrups, fresh fruit, mixers, garnishes and shakers. If you can collect enough blenders (or host the class a local bar/restaurant) it would be fun to include blended drinks as well. Have each team present their best beverage to a panel of judges (chapter president, advisor, e-board members) for a blind taste test. The winning team wins sorority glasses or tumblers. The rest of the time is spent making mocktails for everyone to enjoy.
- CARDBOARD BOAT REGATTA: If you have access to a swimming pool on campus, this is a super fun bonding activity. Divide your chapter into teams of 6-10 sisters and provide them with X-large pieces of cardboard, duct tape, decorations, odds & ends costumes, accessories and some kind of paddle. Each team has a limited amount of time to build a boat for two. Extra points will be given for theme, creative boat decorations and costumes. When the boats are built, host a chapter regatta in the pool. The boat that actually makes it across the pool wins! Enjoy a nautical theme social afterwards.
- SORORITY VOICE: Hire a singer/songwriter to lead the chapter in writing and performing their own original sorority song. Work together to create a song that expresses the thoughts and feelings of the entire sisterhood. The songwriter should teach the basics of songwriting, lyrics and composition, then accompany the singing on guitar or piano. Writing the lyrics and composing the melody will be very sentimental for everyone. After the piece is written, all voices come together to perform the new melody. Of course this debut performance should be filmed. Afterwards, copies of the song can be printed and given to everyone as a keepsake.